Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, November 25, 2005

Kalabasa Man


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

With all that sneaking and jumping around in almost pitch-black darkness, don't you think it's amazing that ninja don't bump into shit all the time? Let me introduce you to one of our secret elite ninja skills. Be aware that the only reason why I can divulge this secret is because you have no chance of duplicating it (unless trained by some other elite ninja). There are some of us who are so highly trained that our eyesight is improved several degrees, allowing us to pretty much see in the dark. No need for night-vision goggles (although they do look cool when worn).

The wise Ninja Grandmaster, Masaaki Hatsumi felt it was important to start my training almost immediately after my birth. The moment I could start to eat semi-solid baby food, he gave specific instructions to my mother to feed me a strict diet consisting of vitamin-A rich winter squash, carrots and sweet potatoes. I used to remember my mom would say that squash was one of my favorite foods when I was a baby. Now I understand why. It was all in preparation for my life as a ninja.

In my younger days, I've always found it strange that I have extremely keen eyesight and the ability to notice very subtle details... A really far off roadsign, really small fine print, etc. After a while, I noticed my ability to see in low-light situations. I took advantage of this, especially during the time when I was really fond of reading. There was a point in time that I read everything I could get my hands on. Comics, Hardy Boys books, encyclopedias, Nintendo game manuals, whatever.

Usually, I wouldn't stop reading until I finished the whole book, or at least a considerable amount of it. That lead me to start reading under the covers with just a busted, old flashlight. Sometimes, either mom or dad would come in and find me up way past my bedtime and get pissed at me, telling me I'd mess up my eyes. When I wouldn't stop, they bought me a lamp to put near my bed.

Last night, I bought some supplies for my VisTech2 class. On the way home, I guess I dropped my brush, only noticing when upon my arrival at the house. I was pretty pissed off, but had other things to worry about. Anyway, about an hour later, I was walking through the dark back to the jeepney stop. To my surprise, I found my missing brush along the unpaved portion of the road. It was pretty amazing that I was still able to see it under those conditions.

Props to GM Masaaki Hatsumi, you the man! I'll be forever grateful.

listening to: Ice Cube - You Can Do It


Post a Comment
 
© Timothy James Tupas 2005 All rights reserved
 
Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com